Thursday, June 18, 2015

Help Wanted

Hello everyone! Just a quick post today. I recently stumbled across this image on Wikipedia, and I have never seen anything like it before. Here is a link. I would love to know what it's purpose was. It appears to be some sort of attachment on an Underwood machine, perhaps to cover up the typebars. I just thought that it was an interesting image and that I should share it. If anyone knows what the attachment is, please let me know. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, and have a nice week!


1 comment:

  1. I'm surprised no one came and commented here. That's an underwood 5 with sound deadening. It usually set in a specially made box that closed the sides, and was designed for operation in a noisy typing pool. Most likely several such machines would have been in use in the one room, and were constructed to keep down the level of noise so that the typing pool could take dictation or make record of conversation.